The Broncos were back on the practice field Thursday evening for an hour-and-a-half walkthrough.
The slower-paced walkthrough sessions are designed to work on installing new plays and concepts and are completely non-contact. Players wear their jerseys, but no pads or even helmets.
Below are some quick hits from this evening’s session:
- Every player that participated in this morning’s practice was present for the walkthrough as well.
- Guard Chris Kuper, who is still recovering from an injury suffered during the final week of last season, went through the walkthrough with the first-team offensive line.
- Before each play with the first team, Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy communicated the call to quarterback Peyton Manning, who would then take that play into the huddle.
- Communication was a point of emphasis on both sides of the ball. On offense, Manning went through his pre-snap cadence and ensured that everyone was in the right spots before calling for the snap. On defense, the linebackers would call out the formation and the rest of the players responded by shifting into their correct places.
- Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway came outside to watch the beginning portion of the walkthrough.
- Long snappers Lonie Paxton and Aaron Brewer worked on their craft by snapping to one another.
- After he was done taking first-team reps, Manning worked with Kuper on snapping the ball.
- Safety Mike Adams came up with the only interception of the walkthrough.
- Linebacker Von Miller found himself matched up on Joel Dreessen who was split out wide. Miller took that opportunity to work on his bump-and-run coverage technique.
- When he wasn’t under center, Manning spent time talking to the group of wide receivers to go over the plays the group had just run together.
- When the offense and defense separated, the offensive coaching staff filled in for defenders. McCoy blitzed from the linebacker position, Offensive Line Coach Dave Magazu played nose tackle and Offensive Quality Control Coach Brian Callahan dropped into coverage.
- During the special teams portion of the walkthrough, Manning spent time talking to Head Coach John Fox one-on-one on the sideline.
The team takes the field again tomorrow at 2:20 p.m. MDT for a practice that is open to the public.
Tags: 2012 Training Camp