A few pre-game notes:
- Kyle Johnson is inactive. He sprained his ankle early in last Sunday’s win over Oakland, and while it wasn’t the high ankle sprain that the Broncos initially feared, it will be enough to sideline him today. Cecil Sapp will start in his place.
- The weather is, in a word, dreadful — and not just because it’s uncomfortable for fans. It’s 48 degrees right now, but perhaps most significantly for the actual game play, the wind is blowing from out of the west-southwest at 21 miles per hour, with gusts to 32. When I walked around the stadium about 20 minutes ago, I saw several kicks from Jason Elam and Paul Ernster that soared majestically to an apex before simply dying in the stiff breeze.
- Nate Jackson is among the Broncos’ 45 active players for the first time since Week 1. No doughnuts today, Jack Nasty.
- Plenty of Broncos fans in the stadium, at least judging from the composition of the crowd as I walked around the concourse at about 2:45 p.m. EDT. A slew of jerseys, including Champ Bailey, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler and even an authentic Tom Nalen model.
- Denver’s other inactives besides Johnson: Wide receiver Todd Devoe, safety Hamza Abdullah, running back Cedric Cobbs, linebacker Nate Webster, defensive lineman Kenny Peterson and offensive linemen Chris Kuper and Adam Meadows.
- Donato’s Pizza from the concession stand … stellar. Love the nickel-size pepperonis on my slice.
When I’m blogging about food, it’s time to go back to observing and taking notes. Back later.